West Coast sunset

West Coast sunset

Saturday, June 5, 2010

Malina's Revenge

I froze again. Frozen solid. Couldn’t move a muscle, couldn’t speak, couldn’t cry, couldn’t collapse, just couldn’t. Carlos blocked me from their view, “Thanks again, everyone, for your help. Have a safe journey home.”
He turned and looked at me. “Sarah?” he whispered. Nothing, I thought, there’s nothing there. “Okay,” he said as he looked around the courtyard, “Honey, this is going to be unpleasant, but I need you to snap out of this, we have too much work to do,” he said as his eyes stopped in the back corner of the yard. “That’ll have to do,” he said as he picked me up and flew across the yard, toward the waterfall. He hovered over the deep pool, the pool full of ice blue glacier water, freezing glacier water. Then we fell, plunging deep, the shock of hitting the cold better than any slap in the face. I heard myself scream underwater. Carlos grabbed my hand and pushed off the rocky bottom. He let out a whoop when he broke the surface, “THAT is some frickin cold,” he yelled. I quietly started swimming toward the edge. “Sarah?” he said as he swam next to me, “I’m sorry, it’s the only thing I could think of.” I pulled myself up on the edge and sat with my feet in the water for a moment. I tried to smile at him, “I’m not mad at you Carlos, you did the right thing,” I said, “I just don’t want to be mad at him, but how could he do this? How could he know she was here and not tell anyone? How could he not tell me?”

No comments:

Post a Comment